SPRING 2023 THEATER ARTS PRODUCTION GENERAL AUDITIONS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED
FALL 2023 GENERAL AUDITIONS will take place on the first Thursday (09/28) and Friday (09/29) of the quarter.
Our shows are as follows:
You Will Get Used To It by Preston Choi
Directed by Dr. Rebecca Wear
On the ninth floor of a nondescript building there's a gaping hole in the wall oozing a dark liquid, with what sounds like crying coming from deep inside. But it's not your job to pay attention to that, that's Pat's job. A Kafkaesque dark office comedy on the bureaucracy, inevitability, and mental fatigue of suffering.
Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl
Directed by Professor Noah Lucé
"Eurydice" reimagines the classic myth of Orpheus and Eurydice not through Orpheus's infamous pilgrimage to retrieve his bridge, but through the eyes of its heroine. Dying too young on her wedding day, Eurydice must journey to the underworld, where she reunites with her father and struggles to remember her lost love. With contemporary characters, plot twists, and a script written to be a playground for designers, the play is a fresh look at a timeless love story.
Barnstorm Theater Company (TBD)
Musical Theater Scenes (Barnstorm)
A recurring variety/cabaret show, MTS is a compilation of various musical theater scenes including song, acting, and dance.
REQUIREMENTS NOTE: Units earned for MTS (5 or 2) will be determined by the number of hours a student commits to. ONLY the THEA 55A (5-unit) class may be used toward a requirement for the THEA major or minor.
Audition Sign Ups:
- Will be posted outside the Mainstage/A Building Green Room (behind the Theater Arts Mainstage). Signups are on a first-come, first serve basis.
Audition Dates, Times & Location:
- Thursday, September 28th at TBD
- Friday, September 29th at TBD
- Theater Arts Mainstage
- Saturday, Sept. 30th (TBD, invite-only)
- Sunday, Oct. 1st (TBD, invite-only)
MASKS ARE REQUIRED.
- 90 second monologue
- 60 second movement piece *
- 30 second music piece (voice and/or instrument) **
* MOVEMENT PIECE: Unless any of the auditioning shows are musicals, the movement piece is primarily meant to demonstrate that you are comfortable in your body on stage (or at least can act as though you are!), and that you are willing to move on stage vs. staying in a narrow comfort zone of standing or sitting in one place. The movement section also offers you an opportunity to demonstrate any particular movement or performance skill if you happen to have any—e.g., pantomime, clowning, acrobatics, juggling, dance. Otherwise, even jumping jacks, the macarena, running back and forth, etc., can show a basic willingness to move in front of people. If one of the auditioning shows is a musical, and/or if any of the directors want to see specific pieces or skills, there will be details above the sign up sheet or instructions will be given for those invited to callbacks.
** PLEASE NOTE: Accompanists are NOT provided. If you feel it necessary, you may play music with a portable music device, e.g., a smart phone with speakers or old-time boom-box, though this is not required (singing may be a cappella and movement pieces may be silent).
Questions or concerns? Email:
- The Barnstorm Directors: email@example.com
- Theater Arts Student Production Liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org
24-Hour Theater is a one-act theater festival where participants divide into groups to write, rehearse, and perform an original piece in 24 hours. The inspiration for these one-acts will come from a poll on the Barn’s Instagram account based on a topic (previous topics have included poetry and paintings).
24-Hour Theater is on a sign-up basis, no audition is required.
We hope to see you out there!
Directors of Barnstorm Theater Company
• • •
MORE AUDITION INFORMATION
QUESTIONS ABOUT PRODUCTION AUDITIONS FOR THIS YEAR?
Contact the Theater Arts Student Production Liaison: email@example.com
BARNSTORM GENERAL INFO
To inquire about auditioning or doing technical work for the student-run Barnstorm Theater Company, contact the Barnstorm Directors — https://ucscbarnstorm.weebly.com/contact.html.
More information about Barnstorm can be found on the Barnstorm website: http://theater.ucsc.edu/production/barnstorm
RANDOM WITH A PURPOSE GENERAL INFO
Auditions for the annual student-choreographed, student-performed, student-produced dance showcase Random with a Purpose (RWAP) usually take place the quarter BEFORE the production, separate from General Auditions. Students who are accepted via audition enroll in THEA 139 (THEA 139 fulfills an upper division requirement elective for the Dance Minor or Theater Arts major, or an upper division studio requirement for the Theater Arts minor). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. The Theater Arts advisor can also answer basic questions about RWAP: email@example.com.
BY-AUDITION OR INSTRUCTOR PERMISSION STUDIO COURSES
Production auditions are different from those required for admittance into our studio courses (courses which mention "audition" or "interview" in the course description).
Please see the By-Audition or Instructor Permission Studio Courses of the Undergraduate Handbook for more information.
PRODUCTION REQUIREMENT FOR THE MAJOR
One of the requirements for the Theater Arts major is participation in a 5-unit THEA production.
Please see the Production Requirement for the Major section of the Theater Arts Undergraduate Handbook for more information on fulfilling this requirement as a performer, designer or dramaturg.
Current and upcoming performance and ticketing information can be found here.